South Korea Sends Convoy in Liaison Office Amid North Korea’s Withdrawal

김동수 기자 / 기사승인 : 2019-11-12 17:29:26
  • 카카오톡 보내기
  • -
  • +
  • 인쇄

 

▲ [Photo source : Wikimedia Commons]

[스페셜경제= Dongsu Kim] South Korean officials went to an inter-Korean liaison office in North Korea on Monday in an effort to keep hold of measly gains in its ties with the isolated country in spite of Pyongyang's decision to back out from the office last week.

The South's Unification Ministry did not disclose the activities of the 64 officials at the liaison office in Kaesong without the presence of their North Korean counterparts. Unification Ministry spokesman Baik Tae-hyun, however, said Seoul sought to "normalize" operations at the said office, which opened in September. The inter-Korean office was among the key developments made in last year as the two Koreas worked out tensions between them, Reuters reported.

Last Friday, North Korea announced that it was pulling out from the office—a major hitch for South Korean President Moon Jae-in's attempts to engage with their neighbor. Pyongyang's announcement came mere hours after the United States ordered the initial fresh sanctions on the rogue nation since the second summit between the US and North Korea led to disappointing results last month—something that American President Donald Trump said he would not do. 

While South Korea did not explicitly link the North's decision to the summit's failure, experts believe the North's move appeared to be well-thought to pressure Seoul into persuading the US to ease on the sanctions.

Pyongyang's decision could also indicate how meaningless South Korea's role is or that North Korea's announcement of a 'new path' is bound to push through, said North Korea and military expert Kim Dong-yub of the Kyungnam University’s Institute of Far Eastern Studies in Seoul.

According to the Reuters report, several state media outlets from the North have released statements on Monday that criticized its southern neighbor to suspend efforts with inter-Korean economic projects while sanctions are still in place.

“Although the Northside has pulled out of the liaison office, the embers remain, and in order to guard the embers we are going to work today as usual,” said Kim Chang-su, deputy chief of the liaison office and one of the 39 South Korean officials and support that left the South for Kaesong on Monday.

The convoy will be joining the 25 South Koreans who stayed at the office over the weekend despite North Korea's pullout. There is still some personnel from the North currently in Kaesong, according to Baik, which includes those from the North’s Central Special Zone Development Guidance General Bureau and support staff.

 

北, 연락 사무소 일방적 철수 통보…美 제제 완화에 대한 압박?

[스페셜경제= 김동수 기자] 북한의 퇴각 결정에도 불구하고 남한 관계자는 월요일 북한에서 남북 연락 사무소에 가서 고립된 국가와의 유대 관계를 유지하기 위해 노력했다.

통일부 대변인 백태현 통일부 대변인은 통일부 장관이 개성 연락 사무소에서 64명의 공무원의 활동을 공개하지 않았다고 밝혔다. 로이터 통신은 9월에 문을 연 남북 사무소는 지난해 남북 간에 긴장이 풀려 난 주요 발전 중 하나라고 밝혔다.

북한은 문재인 대통령의 이웃과의 교전 시도에 큰 걸림돌인 사무실에서 철수한다고 발표했다.북한의 이번 발표는 지난달 2차 북-미 정상 회담 이후 미국이 북한에 대한 새로운 제재를 지시한 지 불과 몇 시간 만에 나온 것으로 도널드 트럼프 미국 대통령이 하지 않겠다고 밝힌 것이다.

한국은 북한의 결정을 회담의 실패와 명시적으로 연결시키지는 않았지만 전문가들은 북한의 조치가 서울을 미국이 제재를 완화하도록 설득하도록 압력을 가하는 것으로 생각되었다고 생각한다.

북한의 결정은 한국의 역할이 얼마나 의미가 없는지 또는 북한이 '새로운 길'에 대한 발표를 추진해야 한다고 지적할 수 있다.

로이터 보고서에 따르면 북한의 몇몇 주 언론 매체는 월요일에 남한 이웃 국가가 남북 경제 프로젝트에 대한 노력을 중단하고 제재가 여전히 남아 있다고 비난했다는 성명서를 발표했다.

김창수 연락소 부소장과 남측 당국자 39명 중 1명은 24일 "북측 연락 사무소에서 철수했지만, 업무를 위해 오늘도 평상시 처럼 일을 할 예정"이라고 말했다.

호송대는 북한의 철수에도 불구하고 주말 동안 사무실에 머물렀던 25명의 남한 사람들과 합류할 것이다. 북한 중앙특구개발지도총국과 지원요원이 포함된 백씨에 따르면 현재 개성에는 북측 인사가 일부 남아 있다.

[저작권자ⓒ 스페셜경제. 무단전재-재배포 금지]

김동수 기자

오늘의 이슈

뉴스댓글 >

주요기사

+

많이 본 기사

이슈포커스